If you are a bird lover like me, then you probably have a birdbath or two in your garden to ensure that any visiting birds have access to the water that they need. But, did you know that by simply adding a birdbath fountain you could attract and take pleasure from many more?
Yes, as strange as it may seem splashing sounds and moving water really can be attractive to passing birds, and with that in mind we have reviewed for you 9 of the best solar powered birdbath fountains.
Quick peek: 9 Best Solar Powered Birdbath Fountains
Benefits Of A Birdbath Fountain
There are two main benefits to having a fountain in your birdbath. These are that one, you will attract a greater number of bird species due to the splashing sounds and movement of water. And two, that the movement of water will help your birdbath to stay clean. It also does not hurt that the sights and sounds of a birdbath fountain are aesthetically pleasing to the human eye.
Choosing The Right Birdbath
There are five main elements that you should take into account when choosing the right birdbath for you. These are:
Comfort – First and foremost for birds to visit your birdbath they need to be comfortable there. For example, small taloned birds like narrow rims that they can easily land on, and all birds prefer a bumpy, hence non-slippy bottom to the basin.
Depth – Places birds would naturally bathe are usually shallow puddles of around 1 to 2 inches deep. Ideally, your birdbath will replicate that depth and have a sloped basin that allows birds easy access and exit.
Height – Believe it or not the height of your birdbath will affect the species of bird that visit it. Smaller birds, for example, usually prefer taller birdbaths that give them a wide field of view, whilst large birds prefer low to the ground. For the widest range of species possible, you should go for something around 2 to 3 feet high.
Style – The style of birdbath you choose has very little to do with the birds and more to do with what pleases you. There are many styles to choose from including single basins, tiered basins, cascading rocks into pools, and wall-mounted designs.
Aesthetics – Again, this consideration is what you find pleasing to the eye. You can choose from geometric shapes, natural accents, plain, embellished, and colorful designs.
9 Best Solar Powered Birdbath Fountains
9. Biling Solar Birdbath Fountain Pump
Electop Solar Fountain, Upgraded Solar Powered Bird Bath Fountain Pump Floating Solar Panel Water Pump Fountain Kit for Garden Decoration, Small Pond, Pool, Fish Tank, Aquarium
- ☀SOLAR POWERED FOUNTAIN PUMP - The solar fountain will automatically start working within 3 seconds once exposed to sufficient sunlight. No battery or electricity needed. It is an Eco Friendly solar pump and saves money. You can easily move it to different places to use.
- ☀VARIOUS WATER PATTERNS - The package includes 1 solar panel with pump, 1 connecting pipe and 4 nozzles. The water output pattern and height can be adjusted by assembling different nozzles and connecting pipes. The water can rise up to 30-55cm approx. The height of the fountain depends on the intensity of the sun. When the sun is weak, the solar fountain will not work continuously.
- ☀DURABLE EASY TO USE - The solar bird bath fountain pump has more than 10,000 Hours of lifespan. And it has a built-in brushless motor that provides longer service life and lower energy consumption. It is very easy to use. The brighter it receives the sunlight, better it works.
- ☀WIDE APPLICATION - Suitable for bird bath, fish tank, small pond, pool, and garden decoration, water circulation for oxygen.It constantly sprays water, not only to attract birds to drink in your birdbath, but also to add fun to your children while playing in the pool. It's a perfect choice for small gifts to your family, friends.
- ☀IMPORTANT TIPS - Make sure you have put enough water in the fountain so that the pump can stay entirely under the water. You should clean the pump on regular basis to avoid the pump get blocked with dirt. The fountain works only when ALL panels are exposed to FULL, DIRECT sunlight. A leaf shading one panel keeps it from functioning. It does not store any energy.
If, like me, you don’t have an infinite amount of patience for things to start working you will love the Biling Solar Birdbath.
I took it out of the box, put it into the pond, and ‘hey presto’ it was working. Perhaps unsurprising considering it has a built-in backup battery but to be honest I didn’t expect it to be holding any charge.
The spray this product produced at first was not very impressive. However, as the day wore on and more sunlight hit the solar panels it got better and better.
The appearance was aesthetically pleasing whilst still being gentle enough to attract the birds to bathe. I loved that I could change it up with the six, yes six, interchangeable nozzles.
On the downside, the pump on the Biling Solar Birdbath seemed to get clogged on a pretty regular basis. However, it is easy to disassemble and clean so it didn’t prove to be much of a problem.
8. Solatec Solar Fountain
Solar Fountain Pump, Free Standing 1.4W Bird Bath Fountain Pump for Garden and Patio, Solar Panel Kit Water Pump
Though I can’t quite put my finger on why; I was a little dubious about the build quality of the Solatec Solar Fountain when I removed it from the box. It felt a little lightweight, which could, of course, also be a good thing, and not quite sturdy enough.
Despite my reservations, the Solatec ran well, although not at full power all the time. It really does need to be in direct and bright sunlight to perform at its best.
At its peak, the spray reached an impressive 30 to 50 centimeters in height. It also came with four interchangeable nozzles that give different spray effects.
7. SP50 Twin Panel Solar Powered Fountain
MNP SP50 50W Large Powerful Twin Panel Solar Powered Submersible Pond Pump Kit with 16 feet of hose 898 GPH - Kit weighs over 23 pounds - Ready to connect to waterfall or filtration system -
- ☀【Powerful Solar Pump】Large pump (9x12x8 inches - too large for most fountains/water features) powerful submersible solar (needs sun to run) pump twin solar panels each 25W (size 24 x 13.5 inches) total 50W powered pond pump. This kit uses a proprietary solar brush-less pump representing a major breakthrough for solar powered water pumps and significantly reduces maintenance issues. Please see also our most powerful 100W solar pump by searching B07RVFB6JJ. Any questions please call 855-723-3564.
- ☀【Complete Kit】Complete solar power kit includes 16 feet of plastic hose to connect the pump to a waterfall or filter box. Nothing more to buy and you should be up and running in a few minutes on a sunny day. Please note this pump has a max head of 10 feet. Pump is usually too powerful for most small garden fountains.
- ☀【Extensions available】Kit comes with 16 ft of electrical cable from the pump to solar panels. This can be extended multiple 16 feet lengths allowing you to hide the panels and/or place them where you get the most sun..
- ☀【Reliability and Safety Features】Pump alone weighs over five pounds. It has dimensions about 10 by12 inches and needs some space around it to operate well. Very easy to clean. Has dry run cut off meaning it will help save some water for your fish in the event there is a leak somewhere. Some pumps run until they dry out a pond.
- ☀【Exceptional customer service】Pump has a reliable and maintenance-free brush-less DC motor with a failure proof carbon brush and shaft seal, ensuring a long service life. All our products are backed up by exceptional after sales service seven days a week. To contact us please click "AQUAPLANCTON" just under the "Buy" box to the top right. We also have a smaller MNP SP25 and our most powerful MNP SP100 twin 50W = 100W solar pump.
The first thing to say about the SP50 Solar Pump is that it is not for the average garden birdbath. It is far too powerful, needs to be submerged completely underwater, and is bulky and heavy. It requires being used in a pond, waterfall, or large, and I mean a large fountain.
For the above reasons, I set this pump up to work in my 1300 gallon Koi pond with a fountain feature (not included) attached.
I was pleased to find setting this up was fairly easy and quick and that water was spraying within a few minutes of completion.
However, despite coming with two quite large solar panels this pump only worked in full and bright sunlight. Should a cloud roll in or even my dogs walk passed and blocked the sunlight this pump just stopped.
A shame for such a beast of a pump that worked so well in the sun not to come with a backup battery.
6. AISITIN Solar Fountain Pump
5V/3.5W Upgraded Solar Fountain Pump,Solar Powered Water Fountain Pump for Fish Tabk, Garden Pond, Swimming Pool Outdoor,Solar Bird Bath Fountain with 6 Nozzle
- ☀Multiple uses: This new type of solar pump fountain is very suitable for bird nests, fish tanks, small ponds, swimming pools, gardens, terraces, lawns, and oxygen circulation. Bring you more joy.
- ☀5V 3.5W solar fountain: The solar bird nest fountain can be operated automatically in direct sunlight in only 3 seconds; the fountain comes with a storage battery. It works even on cloudy days. The water spray height is about 80cm/31.50inch. No power or battery required.
- ☀Configure water shortage protection function (water level monitoring): When there is no water, the pump will automatically stop working to protect the motor. Light detection function: automatically stop working when night is detected.
- ☀Tips for use: Keep enough water and keep the water, the panel and the pump clean to ensure that the panel has no shadows or blocks the pump. The stronger the sunlight, the better the fountain effect.
- ☀Simple Installation: Just put the water pump into the water, the solar panel is exposed to sunlight, and the fountain automatically sprays water within 3 seconds. No tools are needed. Completely carefree.
I genuinely do not have a bad word to say about the AISITIN Solar Fountain Pump, and that’s unusual as I am picky! It came quickly, was sturdy but lightweight, and worked within seconds of being in my birdbath.
The spray was not too high, not too low, not too strong, and certainly not too weak; I know I sound like Goldilocks, but what can I say? The AISITIN for me had it all.
If I had to pick a fault – nothing is perfect – I would say that the AISITIN can clog on occasion and will need cleaning on a regular basis. However, this is nothing of a job and perfectly acceptable when you take into account that this fountain runs not only in sunshine but also in shade for up to an incredible four hours.
5. Solar Water Fountain for Birdbath
Solar Water Fountain for Bird Bath, Solar Fountain Water Pumps Freestanding Submersible for Small Pond,Fish Tank, Patio, Garden Decoration 1.4 W Solar Panel Water Pump Kit, Solar Pond Pump (AS70)
- ◆ 【Durable and simple】 The fountain is of high quality and durable. It uses high-efficiency solar panels and new brushless pump. Easy to assemble and clean.
- ◆ 【 5 kinds of different spray heads】 The package contains 5 different spray heads, each spray head has a different spray . You can easily change the spray head.
- ◆ 【 Applicable for Various Occasions】 Solar fountain for bird bath, fish tank, small pond, garden decoration, water circulation for oxygen.
- ◆ 【 Notice】 Before using the solar birdbath fountain, please charge it in the water for half an hour and the protective film on the solar panel should be removed to avoid affecting the normal working of the product.
- ◆ 【What Will You Get】 One solar fountain pump with all parts, user manual, 100% warranty and friendly customer service. If you have any questions about it, welcome to contact us.
This attractive and compact solar water fountain is ideal if you only have a small birdbath in your garden. It measures just 6.3 inches wide making it the smallest I reviewed. However, for a small product with just a 1.4W solar panel, it did a pretty impressive job.
Unlike the others I reviewed, this solar fountain did not work straight out of the box. Rather I had to wait about thirty minutes for any spray to appear. Once it did, however, in bright sunlight it was very strong, a little too strong in fact, and I had to change the nozzle for one that did not create as much force.
Overall, I would say that this solar fountain is ideal if you are looking for something ‘cheap and cheerful’ to brighten up a dull and small birdbath.
However, if you are looking for mega impressive and showy water features you probably should look elsewhere.
4. Sunjoyco Solar Water Pump
Solar Fountain Pump 1.7W Outdoor Solar Pond Pump for Bird Bath,Pool,4 Spray Solar Powered Garden Fountain Fountain
- ☆ Eco Friendly★ : It is an extremely competent solar panel. It is controlled with solar power completely. It does not need battery or electricity. It is an Eco Friendly solar pump and saves money and vivy your garden .
- ☆ Easily use/move/clean★: Floating free standing, just place it on the water, solar pond Pump will Works perfectly after gained enough sunshine. Free to move to different place at will, no need to install the pump. Remove the nozzle and clean It easily regularly to guarantee wonderful spraying effect.
- ☆ Sprayer for Different Water Style★: There are 4 different types of nozzle heads attached with the pump itself. It helps to change the height of water in different water patterns. The water can rise up to 30-55 cm approx.
- ☆Multiple Applications★: Richarm Solar Water Fountain is perfect for bird bath, fish tank, small pond, pool, garden, water circulation for oxygen. Your garden would definitely catch all the attention of the passers-by. Making your yard look so amusingly decorated by the solar water feature
- ☛ USAGE TIPS☚: Make sure you have put enough water in the fountain so that the pump can stay entirely under the water. You should clean the pump on regular basis to avoid the pump get blocked with dirt. The fountain works only when ALL panels are exposed to FULL, DIRECT sunlight. A leaf shading one panel keeps it from functioning. It does n ot store any energy.
My first impressions on removing this unit from the box were that it was not very well made and far smaller than I had thought it would be. However, on checking it was the right size, 11 by 11 centimeters for the solar panel, it was just the picture on Amazon that had misled.
The pump itself on this unit needs to be completely covered by water and it does not have an auto cut off to stop it from drying out should it protrude. It does, nonetheless, work extremely efficiently, in fact, perhaps a little too much so.
The spray with this water fountain will escape a birdbath up to around 18 inches in size, and the nozzles provided are not conducive to lessening the flow.
3. ROADTEC Solar Fountain Pump
LATITOP Solar Fountain, Solar Bird Bath Fountains with 4 Sprinkler Heads for Birdbath Garden Pond Pool Lawn Tank, 1.8W Solar birdbath Fountain
- ✔ Solar powered, no extra power needed, energy-saving and environmentally friendly.
- ✔ Starts working in 3 seconds once exposed to sufficient sunlight. Please make sure the solar panel is not shadowed and keep the filter intake on the bottom clear of debris.
- ✔ Max water height: 70cm (27.6inch). Cord Length: 12Ft. Max water area: 150cm(59inch). The height of water depends on strength of the sunlight.
- ✔ Comes with fitting accessories and 4 types of sprinkler heads for different water flows and water heights. Perfect for bird bath, fish tank, small pond, garden decoration, water circulation for oxygen.
- ✔ Our solar panel has more than 20,000 Hours of lifespan. And the solar water fountain pump has a built-in brushless motor that provides a longer service life and lower energy consumption.
The Roadtec is a cute and fairly efficient solar fountain pump that is well suited to the smaller garden birdbath. It worked within seconds of being placed in the water; performed well in bright sunlight but didn’t create a powerful water jet.
Unfortunately, it’s difficult to say much more about this birdbath fountain without sounding too negative and that wouldn’t be fair. It isn’t particularly bad at its job overall in all fairness, but it isn’t particularly good either.
2. Lailme Solar Fountain
Solar Fountain Pump, Solar Powered Bird Bath Fountain Pump 1.4W Solar Panel Kit Water Pump
$16.99 in stock
- ☀Solar Powered Fountains: Solar bird bath pump operates in direct sunlight. It is controlled with solar power completely. It does not need battery or electricity. It is an Eco Friendly solar pump and saves money.
- ☀Different Water Style: There are 4 different types of nozzle heads attached with the pump itself. It helps to change the height of water in different water patterns. The water can rise up to 30-50 cm approx.
- ☀Multiple Functions: This solar pump is perfect for bird bath, fish tank, small pond, pool, garden, water circulation for oxygen. Your garden would definitely catch all the attention of the passers-by. Let your yard look so amusingly decorated by the solar water pump.
- ☀Floating Fountain Pump: It is very easy to use. You just have to do is, make the pump float on the water. Once the solar panel gain sunlight, it will run automatically within a couple of seconds. The brighter it receives the sunlight, better it works.
- ☀Useful Tips: Make sure you have put enough water in the fountain so that the pump can stay entirely under the water. You should clean the pump on regular basis to avoid the pump get blocked with dirt. The fountain works only when ALL panels are exposed to FULL, DIRECT sunlight. A leaf shading one panel keeps it from functioning. It does not store any energy.
This particular birdbath fountain is new to the Lailme range for 2019 and is sure to stick around. I loved it, and would certainly use it in any of my birdbaths, ponds, and pools.
It is not the best that I tried, that prize has already been won, but it does come a close second and I would recommend it to anyone.
Working straight out of the box, the Lailme produced an incredible 20 inch plus height so long as it had 2 to 3 inches of water to float in.
It comes with a great backup battery that keeps it going during cloudy intervals and will shut itself off should the water level fall too low.
1. HEYSTOP 5.0W Solar Fountain Pump
AISITIN 5.5W Solar Fountain Pump Built-in 1500mAh Battery Solar Water Pump Floating Fountain with 6 Nozzles, for Bird Bath, Fish Tank, Pond or Garden Decoration Solar Aerator Pump
- 【5.5W solar panel】: This solar floating fountain water pump is upgrade to 5.5W high-quality solar panels, it allows the water pump to work continuously, even when the sunlight is weak.
- 【Built-in battery】: This solar fountain built-in battery, automatic storage of solar energy, real green solar water pump.
- 【6 Different Water Style Sprayers】: 6 different nozzles can meet your different needs for jet height or jet shape. The height can be adjusted by changing nozzles to avoid spilling out of the basin.You can easily change the spray head.
- 【Multi-application】: This solar pump is perfect for bird bath, fish tank, small pond, pool, garden, water circulation for oxygen. Your garden would definitely catch all the attention of the passers-by. Let your yard look so amusingly decorated by the solar water pump.
- 【Helpful tips】: The product has automatic power-off protection and will automatically stop working when it leaves the water, Longer service life, You should clean the pump regularly to prevent the pump from being clogged with dust.
With its 5 watts moveable solar panel, the HEYSTOP is exceptionally capable of doing the job you require it to all day long. This is also enhanced by the fact that it comes with a reliable battery back up that will kick in should the clouds appear.
It gives out a good fountain of water suitable for small to medium birdbaths and will automatically cut out if the water level drops too low.
The only downsides that I could find with the HEYSTOP were that the wires were ugly and the suction securing it didn’t work too well. It also clogged pretty quickly which wouldn’t have been an issue had it been easier to clean.
Types Of Birdbath Fountains
There are numerous types of birdbath fountains including solar, electric, battery, flowing, falling, splashing, streaming, spraying, vigorous, and gentle. However, the first choice you will need to make is whether you go for floating or submerged.
A floating birdbath fountain sits on top of the water and has its solar panels built-in. They are a great choice for simplicity of set up and aesthetically pleasing as they have no wires.
However, if they do not come with a way to hold them in place such as suction cups they can float around. This can cause water to spill out of the birdbath basin resulting in the water level becoming way too low.
A submerged birdbath fountain will come with a positionable solar panel and pump that must be submerged fully. They are ideal for those gardens where the sun moves around requiring the solar panel to be placed in different positions and can be more easily fixed in place.
They do, however, have wiring that can be difficult to hide and can turn out to be a little too powerful.
Which Size And Power To Choose
As with anything that works in water, larger volumes of water need more power. However, for something that is as simple and usually small as a birdbath anywhere between 1.5 and 5 watts should be plenty sufficient.
You should, however, always ensure that the fountain will fit into your birdbath, especially when it comes to floating.
When Will A Solar Powered Fountain Work?
It is important to recognize that a solar-powered piece of equipment requires sunlight and not just daylight to work proficiently. Even those with battery back-up will only work for an extra 3 to 4 hours when the sun goes in, and none will work overnight.
We tested other fountains in our garden pond. Read the results here!
- Do solar-powered fountains really work? Yes, but how well will depend on the weather. Bright sunny days produce the strongest flow, whilst on cloudy days the flow will be reduced.
- Do birdbaths need a fountain? No, however, birds will be attracted by moving water, and the water will stay cleaner.
- Do solar powered birdbath fountains work all year round? This will depend on the climate in which you live. Countries/places with plenty of sunshine all year long will have the greatest chance.
- How does the fountain work? By solar power which in simple terms involves the panel’s photovoltaic cells converting energy in the sunlight into electricity, specifically direct current.
- How long will one last? It’s difficult to say since individual models will be made to differing standards. However, on average a solar birdbath fountain will be capable of running from 10 to 20 thousand hours.
- How effective are solar-powered birdbaths on dull days? The chances are that your birdbath fountain will work to a lesser degree or maybe not at all.
- Are solar panels safe for birds to touch? Yes, although you don’t really want birds landing on them as it could damage the solar panel.
- Will a fountain scare the birds? It’s highly unlikely. Birds are attracted to the splashing sound of water and are more likely to love it than hate it.
Final Verdict: Best Solar Powered Birdbath Fountains
Without a shadow of a doubt, our favorite solar powered birdbath fountain has to be the AISITIN Solar Fountain Pump and for very good reason. It has the best built-in battery, still runs in very low light, and creates an impressive fountain size.
After looking at all the reviews on this product it’s clear it’s also liked by many buyers around the world. At this price, it has to be worth a go. We loved ours and still have it running in our shallow container pond. We have a little Robin that visits it all the time for a quick bath.
- How to Oxygenate a Pond | 3 Ways to Oxygenate a Fish Pond
- 7 Plants Perfect For Any Garden Pond
- 9 Best Solar Powered Birdbath Fountains | Pros & Cons
- 7 Ways To Prevent Ponds From Freezing Over | Stop Your Pond Freezing Up
- Best Pond Vacuum Cleaners | Top 3 Pond Vacuums
- Best Cleanup Crew For a Reef Tank | Algae | Substrate | Scavengers - June 27, 2020
- Marineland Magniflow 360 Canister Filter 360 GPH | Pros and Cons - June 13, 2020
- How to keep fish out of your filter - May 31, 2020